The University of Santo Tomas Chemical Engineering Department (UST ChemE) was established in 1934 and is the second oldest department of the Faculty of Engineering. Initially a four-year program placed under the College of Liberal Arts, it was then transferred to the Faculty of Engineering during the A.Y. 1938-1939 with the head being Salvador del Mundo, a holder of BS Chemistry and PhD. In 1954, the duration for all engineering programs were extended from four to five years.
The Department was also identified by CHED as Centre of Development (COD) in 1999. In 2002, the ChemE program was accredited by PAASCU. The ChemE program holds a reaccredited Status – Level III from FAAP, with the recent accreditation.
In its 80th year, the Chemical Engineering Department is looking forward to bring more radiance as it continues its dedicated service in moulding globally competitive chemical engineers with its pursuit for the outcomes-based education system and the accreditation by PTC for Washington Accord Accreditation.